North Carolina’s Smith named CUNA board chairman at CUNA GAC
Thursday, March 8, 2018
This is "CUNA GAC 2018: Maurice Smith's Remarks" by L37 Creative on Vimeo.
Addressing CUNA Governmental Affairs Conference (GAC) attendees for the first time as CUNA board chairman last week, Local Government Federal Credit Union President/CEO Maurice Smith expressed his passion for the industry and, in a linear sense, what drives his agenda as chairman.
“My agenda is the board’s agenda, which is CUNA’s agenda, which is CUNA’s platform, which is all about your credit unions, and you all are all about your members,” he said. “So, I suppose if I have an agenda, it’s your members’ agenda, your communities’ agenda. I’m here to further that agenda as best I can.”
Smith also emphasized the board’s role in the grand scheme of CUNA’s advocacy initiatives.
“I would not have you believe that the board takes on the lion’s share of the advocacy role on behalf of CUNA,” Smith added. “We are just part of the equation. There are 170-plus volunteers who participate on a number of CUNA committees and subcommittees helping us find the right solutions for you—our member credit unions. There’s also our state league partners and affiliates who are lock-step with us in helping us solve the big problems facing the movement.”
Expressing his congratulations on behalf of credit unions in the Carolinas, Carolinas Credit Union League President/CEO John Radebaugh said, “Maurice has been a leader in the credit union movement at the state and local level for three decades. As he steps into the national spotlight as CUNA board chair, everyone can rest assured that the credit union system will be well served. He is a passionate voice for credit unions and their members.”
Smith was elected board chair during the 2018 CUNA GAC, as well as the rest of the CUNA Executive Committee.
- Vice chair: Brett Martinez, president/CEO, Redwood Credit Union, Santa Rosa, Calif.;
- Secretary: Troy Stang, president/CEO, Northwest Credit Union Association;
- Treasurer: Brad Green, president/CEO, Listerhill Credit Union, Sheffield, Ala.; and
- At Large: Tony Budet, University Federal Credit Union, Austin, Texas.
Newly elected members of the board are:
- Lisa Ginter, president/CEO, CommunityAmerica Credit Union, Lenexa, Kan.;
- Tom Kane, president/CEO, Illinois Credit Union League;
- Maria Martinez, president/CEO, Border Federal Credit Union, Del Rio, Texas;
- Pat Pierce, president/CEO, City and County Credit Union, St. Paul, Minn.; and
- Fred Robinson, president/CEO, Tennessee Credit Union League.
Source: CUNA News