Do your part to ‘Inspire Hope’ as International Credit Union Day approaches
Monday, September 14, 2020
Credit unions here and around the globe are working hard to be financial first responders and everyday financial partners for members. International Credit Union (ICU) Day® on Thursday, October 15 is a time to celebrate the spirit of the global
credit union movement, and reflect upon the movement's history, promote its achievements, recognize hard work, and share member experiences.
This year's theme is "Inspiring hope for a global community" and marks the 72nd anniversary of ICU Day®!
Hearing uplifting stories during these trying times can be a great benefit to credit union staff and members. Use the hashtag #ICUDay to share your efforts and highlight the credit union difference as ICU Day approaches. Promotional items and marketing materials are available from CUNA’s website at cuna.org/icuday.
In this unprecedented year, your credit union may be looking for alternative ways to celebrate this annual occasion with members. In addition to these ideas from the World Council of Credit Unions,
the Carolinas Credit Union League offers the following for consideration:
- Low- to No-contact Fundraiser & Community Outreach Ideas:
- Online charity drive with global impact | In recognition of ICU Day, invite your members to donate towards a charity that has a global impact, such as The Nature Conservancy’s “Plant a Billion” trees campaign. For as little as a $1, members can help plant more trees here and around the globe.
- Drive-by donation drive | members drive by your branches for a day to drop off whatever donation item you determine for the charity of your choice. See the results of the Columbia Chapter of Credit Unions’ recent drive-by donation drive.
- Fun Virtual Activities for Members:
- Virtual open mic night or talent night | Invite members to register for open mic night where they can see the special talents of your credit union staff. Virtual platforms like Zoom or Facebook Live can work. You can even tie a donation
call-to-action to your invite.
- Virtual cooking lesson for members | Work with a chef to teach members how to make some simple international dishes. Send out an ingredients list in advance to registrants so they can join in the fun. You can use a platform like Zoom
or host it on Facebook Live.
- No-Contact Giveaways and Contests:
- Simple-entry prize drawing giveaway for members | Set up an ICU Day-themed giveaway form exclusive for credit union members, and invite them to complete the form to be entered into a random drawing giveaway.
- Virtual rock, paper, scissors tournament | Have members register in advance to be a part of your virtual rock, paper, scissors tournament. The event coordinator would pair off registrants using a bracket generator like this one. Then contestants participate 1:1, working through the brackets until a final winner is determined.
Is your credit union doing something outside the box to celebrate ICU Day this year? Are your plans adjusting at all due to COVID-19 health concerns? Share your plans and/or add to the discussion on the League’s Marketing & Business Development Group forum here.
International Credit Union Day is brought to you by World Council and Credit Union National Association (CUNA). This year's event is proudly supported by Harland Clarke.