Carolinas Foundation: invite credit union members to apply for college scholarships!
Wednesday, October 9, 2019
The 2020-2021 Carolinas Credit Union Foundation scholarship cycle officially launched this month, with applications due on February 1, 2020. Through the Foundation and scholarship funds from credit unions in the Carolinas, dreams of higher education are made possible each year for hundreds of students.
How to Apply for The Carolinas Credit Union Foundation Scholarship Fund
Any member from a credit union based in North or South Carolina with a non-weighted GPA of 3.0 or higher may apply for a scholarship. The Carolinas Credit Union Foundation Scholarship Fund offers both academic and needs-based scholarships of $1,000. Technical or community college scholarships of $500 are also available. Credit union employees and immediate family who are members may also apply for the Foundation’s scholarship.
Additional Scholarship Funds
A credit union member may also be eligible for scholarships from individual credit unions who have their own scholarship fund managed via the Carolinas Foundation. More than $250,000 is awarded each year in scholarships from individual credit union scholarship funds. Applicants are encouraged to read award details for each credit union’s scholarship program.
Credit union programs managed by the Foundation:
- Allegacy Federal Credit Union Mel Hughes Scholarship Fund
- Blue Flame Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- Carolina Foothills Federal Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- Carolinas Telco Federal Credit Union Legacy Scholarship Fund
- Charlotte Metro Federal Credit Union Herman Hoose Scholarship Fund (separate application available from Charlotte Metro)
- Coastal Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- Greensboro Municipal Federal Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- Health Facilities Federal Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- Local Government Federal Credit Union Scholarship Fund (separate application available from LGFCU)
- Members Credit Union’s Betty Stevenson Scholarship Fund & General Scholarship Fund
- MTC Federal Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- Piedmont Advantage Credit Union Members Come First Scholarship Fund
- SPC Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- Summit Credit Union’s Elizabeth Hamilton Scholarship Fund
- Truliant Federal Credit Union’s Fred Sarda Scholarship Fund
Qualifying credit union members may apply for one or more of these scholarships through the Foundation’s online scholarship portal—a simplified, one-stop application process. Credit unions are encouraged to promote this opportunity to members, and more details are available here.
Is your credit union Interested in starting its own scholarship program?
The Carolinas Foundation may offer you a great solution at a very low cost. By selecting the Foundation to establish a scholarship fund, your credit union is provided with a turn-key approach including optional winner selection, notification to all student applicants and fund distribution to the student’s attending school. Scholarship applications are submitted electronically via a secure online portal managed by the Carolinas Credit Union Foundation. Credit unions may also elect to use its own application. Please contact Lauren Whaley at the Foundation for more details.