Carolinas Foundation and partner credit unions issue nearly $260,000 in scholarships
Wednesday, July 25, 2018
|These are the winners from this year’s Carolinas Credit Union Foundation Scholarship Fund. To view all of the winners from funds managed by the Foundation, click here.
Through the Carolinas Credit Union Foundation’s Scholar Vision Fund, $258,200 was recently disbursed to the attending schools of 235 credit union members in the Carolinas for the upcoming 2018-2019 school year. The Scholar Vision Fund, which is comprised of a collection of funds from individual credit unions and chapters, was established to help credit union members in North and South Carolina achieve a higher level of education. Credit union members are awarded based on academic performance, community activities, leadership, and an essay.
This year’s record number of scholarships were made available from the following funds:
- Allegacy Federal Credit Union’s Mel Hughes Scholarship Fund
- Blue Flame Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- Carolina Foothills Federal Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- Carolinas Telco Federal Credit Union Legacy Scholarship Fund
- Charlotte Metro Federal Credit Union Herman Hoose Scholarship Fund
- Coastal Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- CPM Federal Credit Union's Russell Easterling Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Local Government Federal Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- Members Credit Union’s Betty Stevenson Scholarship Fund & General Scholarship Fund
- Piedmont Advantage Credit Union's Members Come First Scholarship Fund
- SPC Credit Union Scholarship Fund
- The Carolinas Credit Union Foundation Scholarship Fund (both academic and needs-based scholarships)
The Foundation’s Scholarship Fund is made possible by direct support from credit unions and business partners. This specific scholarship is available to any credit union member from North Carolina or South Carolina and specific awards are given to credit union members who complete an additional page on the application to support a request for financial need. Students who apply for the scholarships from their credit union are automatically eligible for consideration for the Foundation’s Scholarship Fund.
Scholarship applications are submitted electronically via a secure online portal managed by the Carolinas Credit Union Foundation. Nearly 1,000 applications were received during this year’s 2018-2019 scholarship cycle. The 2019-2020 application will launch electronically in October of this year with a due date of early February 2019.
If your credit union is interested in establishing a scholarship fund with the Foundation, please contact Lauren Whaley at email@example.com. Scholarship fund management through the Scholar Vision Fund will consist of a turn-key approach from the Foundation including notification to all student applicants and fund distribution to the student’s attending school.